Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Field of Flowers




Dear Lord,
Your grace is so sweet and your mercy everlasting. I was so lost, so confused, so blind. You found me, and now I'm finding you. Each day, every moment, I strive to open my eyes a little wider towards your eternal light and into my salvation. We have a lot of work to do. I'm excited to learn everything I can, about you, so that I can be like you. I look forward to living out your will for my life. Speak to my heart and open my mind. Guide my thoughts, actions and words. Help me to share the journey of my experiences with the people that I love.
In Jesus name, Amen.




Amazing Grace Lyrics
John Newton (1725-1807)


Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost but now am found, Was blind, but now I see.

T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear. And Grace, my fears relieved.

How precious did that Grace appear The hour I first believed.

Through many dangers, toils and snares I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far and Grace will lead me home.

The Lord has promised good to me. His word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be, As long as life endures.

Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail, And mortal life shall cease,
I shall possess within the veil, A life of joy and peace.

When we've been here ten thousand years Bright shining as the sun.
We've no less days to sing God's praise Than when we've first begun.






I love this song.
I can still hear my mom's beautiful voice singing the triumphant words to this song. She would sing many songs around the house while doing her "daily house cleaning". This song stands out in my mind and in my heart. As children typically do, I had a vivid imagination. I would put images in my mind to the words she would sing. With Amazing Grace, I engaged very specific pictures in my mind. I would actually visualize her lost and wandering a dry abandoned desert with no water, no life, no hope. Only dry sand, blowing in the harsh wind, stinging her cheeks. Then suddenly she was found, standing in an abundantly filled field of flowers where the grass was covered in dew and the gentle breeze would blow her golden locks from her precious face. Her blue eyes sparkled in the glorious sunrise. As a child, this is what I thought of when I heard her sing "lost" and then "found". There really is so much meaning folded up in the sentence, "I once was lost, but now I'm found". I know that she felt the meaning to these words in her own sense. I could tell in her passion of rejoicing in the lyrics. This passion transcended into the graphic images in my mind of what God's Amazing Grace meant to me as a child. Today, maybe just like she did at that time, I feel the true sense of being lost and then found, by God's grace. These days I triumphantly bellow through the rooms of my home. I hope that my family can hear my passion through the words I sing of this glorious song. I've been in that desert. For most of my adult life, I've had the sting of sand in my eyes. It has taken me a long time to truly be "found". I had let pride, shame, and denial defeat me. I'm certainly not perfect and I still have a long journey ahead of me. But, I have surrendered and I am thirsty for the "field of flowers". I long for a deep connection and fulfilling relationship with my savior. I can see so many opportunities. A new bright future is glowing and eternity is in the air that I breathe.

Thanks mom for singing about grace.

Thank you Jesus for giving me grace.


















6 comments:

Grandpa Mike said...

Oh Kelly,

This is so beautiful!

Welcome to "blogger heaven!"

Love,

Grandpa

Grandpa Mike said...

This is WONDERFUL, Kelly!

What a tribute to your mom.

Welcome to "blogger heaven"!

Love,

Grandpa

Molly Sabourin said...

Oh Kelly,

I have tears in my eyes - number one, because this post is so moving, number two, because just seeing your photo (you look beautiful by the way) conjures up all kinds of sweet memories, and number three, because I admire very much the woman, wife and mother you've become. I look forward to your blog updates and catching up on your life in Florida!

Much love,
Molly

paige said...

Dear Kelly,
what a beautiful picture you painted of your precious mother. It is such a gift that you are sharing your thoughts here on this blog! Please come and visit us in Chesterton anytime! Love to you and your family.

Paige, Bobby, Isabelle and Jane Maddex

John Maddex said...

Thanks, Kelly, for this beautiful reminder of your Mom. We all miss her and we love you for touching our hearts and souls with this tender reflection. She did love to sing but above all she loved you girls!

Uncle John and Aunt Tonya

kelly said...

To the entire Maddex/Sabourin crew.....I can't even begin to tell you how your comments have touched me deeply. You can't imagine how much admiration I have for all of you. You inspire me. Each and every one of you! I love you all! Thank you. Kelly.